“Too many companies want their brands to reflect some idealized, perfected image of themselves. As a consequence, their brands acquire no texture, no character and no public trust.” – Richard Branson
Branding your company means getting personal. It is about trust and authenticity. If you are not portraying the real you, your customers are going to figure that out real quick. They want to know you understand them and can relate to them. No one is perfect and your brand shouldn’t try to portray perfection either.
Personal branding is the way you present yourself to the world.
Everyone has an opinion of you, whether you like it or not, so personal branding helps you to influence that opinion and turn it to a favorable one.
Everyone you interact with will get to know your personal brand. Coworkers, bosses, people searching your name online, social circles, networking circles, etc.
Think of it as making an investment in yourself. This is something that will add value to each new project you create. It has the potential to guarantee you never start from scratch again no matter where you are at in your business.
Use the following ways of marketing yourself to your advantage:
- Website – make it about them but really show the real you especially on the about page section that features you.
- Blog – write like you would if you were writing to a friend.
- Business cards – use the front and the back – it is valuable real estate. They even have digital business cards now too that you can check out and use even more conveniently whether you are online or in person.
- Resume – You want this to be professional but really showcase your skills as well as your ethics.
- Email Signature – more valuable real estate to sell yourself in. Make sure you use it fully and put in awards you have won, or a tagline you use often…anything really that will distinguish you from the crowd.
- Portfolio – let this really show your brilliance and talents to the viewer.
- Social Media Portfolios – be authentic yet professional.
- Wardrobe – let this show the real you as much as possible. You can accomplish that with your accessories even.
- Personality – Let your personality shine through, even in professional settings. It makes people feel more comfortable around you.
Think of how you want to present yourself to the world and make sure that you put that effort into everything you do no matter how big or small.
If I can help in any way, please let me know. I am happy to chat and look over what you have going on to see if you are showing yourself in the appropriate light to ensure you shine!