So now that you are prepared for your phone interview, today we will go over the tips on how to conduct the interview and also how to follow up so you stand out.
- Don’t smoke, chew gum, eat or drink – This is distracting and YES, people can hear you on the other end. You may think that you are quiet but there is a distinct sound to each of these including smoking.
- Keep water handy – The last thing you want in the middle of an interview is to have your mouth go dry or to start choking/coughing. Make sure that you have water handy in case you need it and if you do take small sips so as to minimize the sound of swallowing.
- Smile – Even though the person can’t see you, smiling DOES come across on the phone. It makes your voice more pleasant and puts the person at ease on the other end as well.
- Speak slowly and enunciate clearly – Don’t rush through the interview or talk so that people can’t understand you. You want to come across as the professional you are so take a deep breath and keep it slow and clear.
- Don’t interrupt – That just says it all.
- Take your time – Yes, you can think through your answers for a minute before you respond. This is totally acceptable.
- Keep your answers short – Your interviewer doesn’t want to hear your life story in the novel format. Keep it short and sweet while also making sure that your talents shine through.
Your goal is to get an in person interview so keep that in mind and even ask to meet in person at the end of the phone interview so that you are showing your interest in the position.
Afterward follow up right away. Send an email thanking them for their time and also a hand written note that they will receive in the next day or so is a wonderful way to show you are interested and want to take the next step in the process.