It has been a hard couple of years. Many people are finally able to get back in the workforce after such a struggle for so long. But still the unemployment rate is around 10% and business is still on shaky ground for most people. A lot of businesses are still on a hiring freeze or may be opening small positions here and there and there are tons of people fighting to get their foot in the door.
Whether you have re-entered the workforce or have been in it a while, you definitely want to keep the job that you are so blessed to have and it would be great for your boss to recognize how amazing you are right?
But are you showing them?
There are some crucial steps that can help you do a better job.
Here are 5 ways to show your boss you are amazing and increase your value in your position:
1. Impact the bottom line: To be valuable you need to help your boss make the business money or save money. Focus on activities that utilize your skills most effectively to connect back to the bottom line.
2. Know the organization: Familiarize yourself with the organizational chart and reporting structures. Understand the financials. Learn as much as you can along the way, even though what you’re learning may not seem relevant right now. Down the line, that knowledge could put you in the position of getting a promotion or a new opportunity.
3. Network Internally: Communicating with people is an opportunity to build relationships with them. Being amazing means being able to interact with people at all levels. Be the person who can share insights, provide support and/or solve problems. This is a skill many people lack.
4. Build your sales skills: Whenever you are trying to pitch a new idea to your boss, you’ll need a convincing and solid sales pitch. If you are vying for a promotion or raise, you need to be prepared to pitch yourself. Be ready to defend your views and answer tough questions. Be ready to support your ideas with solid research and enthusiasm. Building your sales skills will benefit you.
5. Continuing Education: Find courses that interest you and that can help you in your job or in a future position you are interested in having. These classes can be done online or in person and they aren’t super costly or extremely time consuming. Keeping up on the latest technology that is out there and showing that you are proactive in your learning is going to take you a long way to getting that promotion, raise, or new position. At a minimum, read. Try to read a book a month related to your industry or the one you aspire to transition into.
You want to show your boss how amazing you are so that even if you end up getting a different position at a different company, your boss is going to put in a good reference for you because they see the value that you provide. Or, better yet they will fight to keep you if they have a similar opening or opportunity. This is also going to help you if you are looking to expand your position in your current company.