When we think of summer we think about vacations and family gatherings. We don’t think of school right?
We should though.
Summer is a great time to strengthen your skills and abilities so you are ramped up for the fall when everything “starts fresh”
How can you develop new skills over the summer while also enjoying the warm weather?
Here are several ideas:
- Read a book or two (e.g., Leadership, Communication skills, Conflict Management). I have some recommendations below.
- Attend a conference or workshop – If you are traveling to it you can plan to spend an extra couple of days to sight see and enjoy the area.
- Watch online webinars or take eLearning courses to develop hard or soft skills – you can do this while you lounge by the pool or sit at your picnic table.
- Enroll in a summer school course at your local college or university – many offer some great adult learning sessions. Most of these are in the evening so it won’t put a damper on the fun of the day.
- Volunteer at a non-profit. It’s a great way to help out, learn new things and meet new people!
Here are those Book Recommendations I promised you:
TRUST: Knowing when to give it, When to withhold It, How to earn it and How to fix it when it gets broken in Life and Business.
by Dr. Henry Cloud
Note: Another incredible book by Dr. Cloud! Trust is the fuel for all of life. Become better at seeing who is trustworthy and who is not. Know what to look for and how to fix trust if it is broken.
Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less
by Greg Mckeown
Note: This is a great read for anyone who feels overcommitted, overloaded, or overworked.
Failing Forward: Turning Mistakes into Stepping Stones for Success
By John Maxwell
Note: This is one of my all time favorites! An oldie packed with timeless principles!
I hope you enjoy the books and I would love to hear about your summer learning experiences or any other ideas you may have!